My mother is a beautiful fiery Jamaican woman with a beautiful golden complexion and a ready witty mouth. This always makes for entertaining remarks and memorable moments. Therefore this post will definitely be the first in a series because Mama will have something to say and my love of colour isn’t going away any time soon. LOL!
1. I remember the first time I was wearing Visionary, a Superstay Matte ink by Maybelline and I tried to kiss my mother goodbye for the day. She ducked thinking something had gotten attached to my mouth and she thought it was still wet and would be left on her golden yellow perfect skin, LOL! I didn’t know she could move so fast. Once she saw it properly, she thought it looked alright. Visionary is a purple-grey matte colour that lasts and stays all day. I absolutely love this colour and usually pair it with some deep purple eye makeup as it adds a subtle weird nude for the look.
2. Dark purple! Royal Purple! Kind of sort of purple! I love, love, love purple anything on People of Colour. I have yet to see anyone wear it wrong. It’s so royal that it just looks great on all of us. I got Heroin by Mac and LM 04 from BlackUp and both are pigmented rich purples, not lilac or lavender, just straight purple. The one from MAC is a lipstick, while the one from BlackUp is a liquid lipgloss. Both have a blue undertone and last all day, giving me life! Mama wasn’t ready the first time, but I think she almost expects me to wear purple somewhere on my face now.
3. Lady Danger by MAC is Orange traffic cone Orange on my two tone lips. I remember trying this on in the store with my friend Justine. I thought I was going to tag along and get a nude, but when I saw that colour I had to try it on. The whole store stopped and the sales associates all seemed to quiet down at the same time as we all took notice of my huge orange lips. Pure joy! It was my favourite orange of all and it was on me. As soon as I got home and opened the door, my mother looked up and sad “wow what a lip” but in that shocked-you-walked-all-the-way-home-like-that kind of way. Hahahaha! I did not even consider her feelings. My lips and I were on cloud nine. I save this one for Summer days when my skin is glowing from extra sun kisses and the yellow undertone compliments the bronze glow of my skin. Whiten teeth before really wearing this one, because it’s pretty much a highlighter for all that is good lips!
4. Escapist Superstay Matte Ink by Maybelline wears as the deepest burgundy ever that it is easily mistaken for black! I wore it for a gig with two of my besties, ( Hey Nessa and Sulleyma) and had on this beautiful faux fur black vest and amazing black jeans. Simple black eyeliner and a great highlighted cheek with this colour had me feeling myself just a little. My brown skin was the perfect contrast to let this colour rock the night. I got home and my mother looked up and said, “your lip is black!” Like I didn’t know. HA! She shook her head and headed to her room.
5. Explorer Superstay Matte Ink by Maybelline was a shocker for me too. A rich royal deep blue. Both of our eyes bulged a little. I was excited and she was afraid. “Where are you going in that?” “I don’t know, but who cares! This is fabulous”, I replied…still her eyes were wide open in disbelief.
6. Finally Amazing Raine by ColouredRaine Cosmetics is the sweetest pastel pink, except it is the pinkest pink there ever was and because it is so pigmented and matte, it stays in the Bold category. It gained an “Oh dear, that’s loud!” from Mama. hahaha. This of course meant, it is perfect.
7. I’m hoping to add a yellow to this mix and I can hardly wait to hear and see my mother’s reaction. LOL! I’ll keep you posted!
What is the greatest reaction that you’ve had to an unsuspecting lip colour choice? Share and comment here or on Instagram and don’t forget to tag @thelipstickblogger with your response. Whatever colour you choose, it’s the confidence it’s accessorizing, so #WearItLikeYouMeanIt 💋.